Saturday, June 23, 2012

Thoughts from Kentucky

When I planned a few days in rural northeast Kentucky I was looking forward to becoming acquainted with a part of the country I had only passed through before.  So far these are some of my observations.

Finding an rv park in this part of the state is difficult.  Don't get me wrong - there's lots of them, the word "finding" is the key.  My trusty 2012 edition of the Trailer Life Campground Guide shows very few and none in Passport America.  I stopped at the state welcome center, some are listed in their literature, but no directions or pricing.  I called one, they answered with a grumpy hello, said, "just a minute," and hung up.  So I followed some dilapidated signage and found a park for a reasonable price and full hookups.  Just gotta have that air conditioning.  It seems that in this part of the world most parks are inhabited with locals who bring their rvs out for the season.

Yesterday I took the Zilpo Road drive through Daniel Boone National Forest. Discovered a beautiful winding, twisting road through the forest that made me thankful I was driving my little car, Blue Bell, rather than the motorhome.  It was warm and sunny, a day just perfect for an afternoon drive.  As I wandered around the countryside I kept my eyes pealed for little shops featuring local artisans and craftsman, and a local eatery. I discovered that in this area of Kentucky, there are no little shops and everyone eats at home.  What I did find were sad looking buildings with boarded up windows and faded signs advertising bait, gasoline or food. 

One thing that fascinated me was seeing large painted quilt square designs hung on the sides of old barns.  Each one was a different design but all were the same size.  When I got back to the park I asked around but no one I talked to seemed to know the story behind them.  Guess this will be a research project for me.

Oh, and the lunch I was looking for?  Finally found a restaurant that was still in business and stopped in at the Cornbread Cafe.  Featured was the typical buffet with fried chicken, fried fish, fried shrimp, fried potatoes, fried okra, and thank goodness for the green beans and corn!  Oh well, I was hungry and my diet flew out the window weeks ago.

It is beautiful, green countryside, and despite some of my comments, I am enjoying it. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your background on this blog. Hope you find some Passport America parks along your way. They seem to cluster. Some parts of the country--like Missouri and Arkansas--tend to have their big meals at midday rather than supper so that's when they have the best deals.

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Colleen. I had fun designing my blog layout. One of these days I'll even get a picture added.

    ReplyDelete